KDE RedHat project

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Thu Aug 18 11:04:21 UTC 2005

Paul F. Johnon wrote:

>Hi,
>

>>>And if FC keeps up with this (almost) insane blocking of the likes of
>>>libdvd and mp3, they'll be as pointless as totem currently is.
>>>

>>Read http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/fc4/errata/#sn-why-no-mp3.
>>
>>Fedora is a completely Free and open source platform. Totem plays all
>>of the open source codecs that gstreamer supports. This has been
>>discussed multiple times previously. You cannot violate laws just
>>because you disagree with the rationale and where it can be fought in
>>a meaningful way it already happens*
>>

>I never said to break the law - that's just dumb! What I am suggesting
>is that it should be possible for RH to have something like country
>specific versions which are closed to those not allowed. Block by IP or
>something like that.

I do not know the legal implications of a block by IP method. I am
pretty sure this has already been considered by legal. Morever that
would mean endorsing a codec or technology that is legally restricted
and not completely open source in every region. My opinion is that we
should not do that even if we can. Third party repositories can do
whatever they want.

regards
Rahul