KDE RedHat project

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Thu Aug 18 16:12:00 UTC 2005

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 20:31:40 +1000, Rodd Clarkson wrote:

> > > It was my impression that KDE was going to be moving over to using
> > > gstreamer soon.  Wouldn't this end up replacing xine-lib?
> >
> > What does it matter? For current FC4, the used KDE version uses a libxine
> > based arts plugin, and the kdemultimedia-extras package from Livna
> > provides that in order to enhance FC4 KDE video players.
> >
> > If a future KDE version changes to a different multimedia backend, well,
> > then hopefully the gstreamer-plugins-extras-nonfree package (or whatever
> > it will be called) will be ready by that time.
>
> Why it matters is that this thread actually started with someone talking
> about a yum repo that replaces KDE on Fedora, and discussion was about
> what was missing in Fedora's KDE that this KDE had.
>
> Requests were made be Fedora developers to list the missing features to
> see if they could be added to Fedora (or whether they were non-free).
> Someone pointed out that xine-lib (non-free) was missing and I commented
> that this may not be an issue for newer versions of KDE (in Fedora)
> because it looks like KDE will be moving to gstreamer.

Doesn't change a thing at all. GStreamer in Core is reduced to the free
media formats. It can't play MP3, MPEG and others and needs a a non-free
plugins package for that.

Other functionality in KDE cannot be added via plugins, but must be
compiled in. That leads to the requirement of upgrading packages in Core
with custom packages provided in a non-free repository. Keeping the custom
KDE packages in sync with patches and security-fixes in Core's KDE is
rather boring and tiresome. And there are enough users who don't like it
when packages from Core are replaced/upgraded by a 3rd party repository.