HelixPlayer and snd-atiixp

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Fri Aug 19 23:29:07 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-08-19 at 21:08 +0200, Matthias Saou wrote:
> Michel Alexandre Salim wrote :
>
> > It would seem that the stable builds of Helix and RealPlayer both have
> > problems with the ALSA snd-atiixp driver - the sound would play for a
> > second, stutter and skip, play again, stutter again and so on.
> >
> > The good news is that the daily builds fix this - but for some reason
> > when I play back a Theora video there the colors become messed up.
> >
> > So the question is: is Fedora Core 5 planned to ship with Helix 1.0 or
> > the next stable version? If the former, could whatever changes have been
> > done in the development version to fix the sound problem be backported?
>
> ooooooooooooooh... someone out there actually uses HelixPlayer? :-D

Yeah, I'm with you.

I was actually hoping that Fedora might dump Helix as part of Core.  Is
there anything that Helix does that Totem can't?

The only thing I can think of is Helix seems to register itself for
protocols it can't handle (Real) and then offers up advertising for
RealPlayer when it fails to play the format.

Am I missing something, or could we move this to Extras.

Rodd
 It's much better on my side"