KDE RedHat project

Paul A Houle ph18 at cornell.edu
Mon Aug 22 13:57:35 UTC 2005

Steve Bergman wrote:

> Adding repositories is not a big deal for us old hands;  It's just a
> PITA, nothing more.  But the newbie is already overwhelmed by
> switching OSes.  To them, "Fedora just doesn't support multimedia".
> All discussions of "feature parity" aside, when's the last time you
> saw an Ogg Theora stream on Yahoo's site?

    Yeah,  streaming media is the worst of it.

    Ogg Vorbis is a fine format to "rip,  mix and burn",  and its what I
use for ordinary listening -- even if I'm on Windows.  With a good set
of headphones (digital USB) I can hear the difference between Ogg @ 200k
and the common MP3 @ 128k,  and definitely Ogg @ 128k is better than MP3
@ 128k.  Recently I noticed that I could tell the difference between
listening to the CD and Ogg @ 200k,  which pushes for FLAC,  a free
lossless format that's quite comparable to ALAC and other commercial
competitors.

    I still make 64k MP3's to download to my flash player,  but there's
nothing like Live365 in Ogg Vorbis land.  However,  Vorbis is widely
supported these days -- years ago I used to argue with an activist
friends that the difference between putting an Orbis stream online and
no stream at all was infinitesimal,  but a year later it was supported
by popular media players in Windows.

    The disturbing development these days are formats like MP3Pro and
AAC3 which use Spectral Band Replication to throw out the highs and then
reconstruct fake highs from the low.  These are particularly attractive
if you're aiming for the "beer commercial" sound of modern FM radio and
have the audio processing chain to match.  The sound is superficially
attractive at low bit rates,  but is atrocious if you listen carefully
-- needless to say,  a whole new set of legal barricades has been built
against open source implementation of these standards.

    I'd argue,  however,  that "positive propaganda" is the right
strategy here too:  if RH (and much of the OS community) takes the
principled stand of providing a free media stack,  it ought to put a
little bit of energy into promoting free media formats -- for instance,
it would be nice to see a web site promoting the Ogg Vorbis streams that
are out there,  just as there are sites promoting the SBR heresy...

http://www.tuner2.com/