OGG support [was Re: KDE RedHat project]

Steve Bergman steve at rueb.com
Mon Aug 22 21:56:05 UTC 2005

Rodd Clarkson wrote:

>On Mon, 2005-08-22 at 19:49 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>

>>Hi
>>

>>>   I'd argue,  however,  that "positive propaganda" is the right
>>>strategy here too:  if RH (and much of the OS community) takes the
>>>principled stand of providing a free media stack,  it ought to put a
>>>little bit of energy into promoting free media formats -- for
>>>instance,  it would be nice to see a web site promoting the Ogg Vorbis
>>>streams that are out there,  just as there are sites promoting the SBR
>>>heresy...
>>>
>>>http://www.tuner2.com/
>>>

>>That does seem like a good idea to me. If you got other areas that we
>>can improve the the promotion of free media formats,  do post to the
>>fedora-marketing list.
>>

>I'll tell you what else would be very useful here.
>
>A site with simple, easy to follow instructions on how to get OGG
>formats playing on other platforms, and preferably in these platforms
>default players.

And simple has to mean trivially simple.  Click here, click there (with
demo screenshots).  No more than five clicks or so.  Any more would
scare off the target audience, which I will operationally define as the
average CompUSA/Best Buy customer (or employee for that matter).  This
would leave the majority, if successful, with a feeling of
accomplishment, and a working ogg player.  Anything more difficult would
only allow a greater portion of already savvy users of Windows and Mac
platforms to make the jump, only to find that "no one provides content
in ogg formats".

Another text oriented FAQ would only clog things up more than they
already are.  The users, assuming they were even interested in ogg, have
to find the site first. Ideally, it would be linked from the front page
of microsoft.com, yahoo.com, google.com, or msn.com. (Excuse me, but I
just got an email that says I might have won a million dollars and I
need to go read it.  It could be important!  Gotta go!  ;-)

-Steve