GDM Login Failure

Thomas J. Baker tjb at unh.edu
Thu Aug 25 13:26:01 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-25 at 08:50 -0400, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On 8/25/05, Thomas J. Baker <tjb at unh.edu> wrote:
> > For the last couple of days, gdm login fails with "Cannot start the
> > session due to some internal error." It fails with any session. I search
> > bugzilla but didn't find any recent bugs like this. Is it just me?
>
> hmm i did a reboot into the lastest kernel last night with a fully
> synced rawhide system and I'm not having a problem with my normal
> user. If you make a fresh user and try to login with that user does
> this still happen?
>
> -jef

It happens with a new user too. It's happening for me on all three of my
rawhide systems, up to date as of this morning. The syslog says this:

Aug 25 09:22:33 localhost gdm(pam_unix)[4058]: session opened for user
gnome by (uid=0)
Aug 25 09:22:33 localhost gdm[4085]: session_child_run: Could not
exec /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession default
Aug 25 09:22:43 localhost gdm(pam_unix)[4058]: session closed for user
gnome

Starting X manually works fine.

tjb
| Thomas Baker                                  email: tjb at unh.edu    |