RFC: X.Org X11 modularization project - rpm package driver naming

Dawid Gajownik gajownik at fedora.pl
Sat Aug 27 08:38:12 UTC 2005

Dnia 08/27/2005 12:48 AM, Użytkownik Mike A. Harris napisał:

Hi!

> Proposal:
> ~~~~~~~~
> Here is my initial proposal for naming the src.rpms, along with
> brief rationale, and the real (or perceived) advantages and
> disadvantages:
>
> xorg-x11-driver-<type>-<name>

	I don't have any rights to decide but this pattern looks very good to me :)

	I'm curious how do you want to pack other tarballs? When I first saw
this → http://xorg.freedesktop.org/X11R7.0-RC0/everything/ I was a bit
shocked ;-O

	Do you plan to have each bz2 archive in its own src.rpm or make
packages using this names → http://xorg.freedesktop.org/X11R7.0-RC0/
For example:
		xorg-x11-app
		xorg-x11-data
		xorg-x11-doc
		xorg-x11-font
		xorg-x11-lib, etc.

	First solution gives more flexibility to the end user - (s)he can
install only necessary pacakges. The only disadvantage of this proposal
I can see right now may be upgrade process from FC4 to FC5. It may take
some time to write proper Provides/Obsoletes in spec files so yum could
handle upgrade without a problem.

Regards,
	Dawid

--