RFC: X.Org X11 modularization project - rpm package driver naming

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Sun Aug 28 17:26:12 UTC 2005

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 14:32:44 -0500, Matthew E. Lauterbach wrote:
>> Why not merge in the SUSE support for patch RPMs into the Fedora rpm?
>> That would solve the same problem.
>>
> For Fedora sure...but what about for Debian or any of the other non-RPM
> based distros?

Oh, I'm not saying modularisation is bad in general, just that some other
packages have the same issue like OpenOffice, so if effort is going to be
put in for download time you might as well fix the core issue. And there's
no reason Debian or any other distro can't implement patch packages either.

But what Arjan said about build time, testing and so on makes sense
I guess. I never thought about build time: I always assumed beehive was an
enormous beast of a system that would eat an X server for breakfast :)

thanks -mike