RFC: X.Org X11 modularization project - rpm package driver naming

Lamont R. Peterson lamont at gurulabs.com
Mon Aug 29 19:30:23 UTC 2005

On Monday 29 August 2005 11:17am, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-08-26 at 18:48 -0400, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> > As such, we have decided to package each driver individually in its
> > own src.rpm package.  It has now come to the time where we must
> > make a decision as to how the driver src.rpm packages will be
> > named, so we can begin packaging them, and also let the installer
> > team and other groups know what they're called.  As such we are
> > soliciting feedback from the Fedora community, including Red Hat
> > developers and subsystem maintainers.
>
> Hmm, packaging every driver separately is going to be a significant
> amount of work from the point of view of installer and comps
> maintenance.  Both have hard-coded lists of packages that are going to
> have to be "regularly" updated.  It also introduces some discrepancies
> on upgrade.  Also, I don't even want to think about a driver split for
> whatever reason and the following fallout... "fun".

Why would you have to make changes to comps for new driver package sets?  If
each driver is in it's own package (or maybe some are grouped together into a
single package, if it makes sense to do so, of course), then all the
installer has to do is select the driver package(s) that support(s) the
detected video card (for example) and have those driver packages depend on
the core x11 package(s)...yum will resolve the rest.

I guess the next question is,"How do we handle driver selection during install
and how does that relate to the X11 component group?"  Is manual driver
selection something we want to give "Joe User" the opportunity to mess up?
--
Lamont R. Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com>
Senior Instructor