kernel-devel dependency

Jos Vos jos at xos.nl
Mon Aug 29 20:23:52 UTC 2005

On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 03:17:36PM -0500, Michel Alexandre Salim wrote:

> Yes, the question is whether it ever makes sense to have kernel-devel-X
> installed when the kernel package itself is of version Y.

Yes, it does, of you want to generate kernel modules for another version
(or variant, like smp) than your running kernel.

But I agree (if I parsed the original comment correctly) that
kernel-devel-* should probably not be installed i.s.o. upgraded
like done with kernel or kernel-module packages.

--
--    Jos Vos <jos at xos.nl>