kernel-devel dependency

Michel Alexandre Salim msalim at cs.indiana.edu
Mon Aug 29 23:16:06 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-29 at 14:49 -0600, Tyler Larson wrote:
> > Once I'm sure a new kernel is working, I like just to be able to call
> > 'yum remove kernel-oldversion' and have kernel-module-*-oldversion and
> > kernel-devel-oldversion removed through dependencies.

> No. Not a good idea. As a general rule, you should limit your dependency list
> to the software that the package actually depends on. Violating this rule
> creates far more problems than it solves.
>
> A user wishing to install a kernel-devel package shouldn't be forced to also
> install the corresponding kernel package--especially since there is no actual
> dependency there. The question isn't, "would someone want to install the
> -devel without the kernel," the proper question is, "should someone have to
> install the kernel in order to install the -devel."

Fair enough. Thanks for the explanation.

> If typing two commands instead of just one is really getting to you, put the
> following in your bashrc:
>
> function remove_kernel() { rpm -e kernel-$1 kernel-devel-$1 ; }
>
> Then you can just type "remove_kernel <version>" and it will remove both at
> the same time!

That gave me an idea; my current script removes all _other_ kernel-devel
versions apart from the argument passed (bless basename and
tab-completion for making this fast too).

The other alternative is to only install kernel-devel when needed, but
this is more risky as I depend on ndiswrapper to get online half the
time.

Thanks,

- Michel