yum annoyances

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Tue Dec 6 19:24:13 UTC 2005

seth vidal wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 17:09 +0100, Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 10:58:38AM -0500, Gene C. wrote:
>>
>>> Would it be possible to have some metadata which would flag to yum that the
>>> package needs to be removed.
>> yum does not know if you want the package removed or not. But it could
>> indicate that none of the repos used for this resolver run provides
>> this package or a package which obsoletes it.
>

> yum list extras.
>
> -sv

I think that what Gene / Ralf mean/want (at least this is what I would
like) is that if:
-this is a default yum upgrade run (iow no --enablerepo or disable)
-none of the repos used for this resolver run provides this package
-this package causes a conflict, for example has dependcies which were
  met before the update but not after if we would continue.
That then and only then, (normal upgrade, troubel package not in any
repo) yum would suggest/ask the user to remove this package. This
question should ignore -y, and be skipped when run non interactivly!

Maybe this can be done in a plugin?

Regards,

Hans

p.s.
I think we can come up with more cases where it would be nice if yum
would suggest a fix. Note though that the current default behavior of
bombing out of anything is wrong is excellent, yum should _never_ try to
fix things automatically like smartpm tries to.