bittorrent in core? what frontend?

Michael Favia michael.favia at insitesinc.com
Thu Dec 15 18:45:17 UTC 2005

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On 12/15/05, John (J5) Palmieri <johnp at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Not sure but I think the one in core should be the simplest.  Click on
>> a .torrent file and a nice little progress bar pops up to tell you the
>> status and perhaps sits in the notification area.
>
> I think notification area item is going to be pretty important.  Isn't
> the whole point of a bittorrent client to act as a peer even when the
> download is completed? If all people are doing is leeching and then
> turning off their own torrent nodes that sort of defeats the purpose
> of the peering concept.  I think you'll definitely want to continue to
> inform the desktop user that the bittorrent node is still active and
> is uploading to other peers aftger the download is complete. I don't
> think you want that going on in the background without some visual que
> to remind people.

While i agree with j5 statemnt on simplicity i disagree that closing the
torrent "defeats" the purpose. Even if individuals close the torrent
after download they still supported the torrent throughout their
download. (even if U/D ratios are biased). While it's only decent to
wait till you have a 1:1 ratio imo it is perfectly acceptable to get
what you need and mosey on if you'd like. A way to tell users about
reaching 1:1 or any predefined ration in the systray would be
appreciated though. -mf