Rhythmbox with iPod support

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Mon Dec 19 02:05:33 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-12-04 at 02:51 -0400, Jean-Rene Cormier wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-12-03 at 20:23 -0800, Jesse Keating wrote:
> > On Sun, 2005-12-04 at 00:17 -0400, Jean-Rene Cormier wrote:
> > >
> > > I was just wondering if Rhythmbox is gonna have support for iPod in FC5?
> > > I just compiled the Rhythmbox SRPMS from rawhide under FC4 and I needed
> > > libgpod which is not in rawhide so I'm assuming support for iPod in
> > > Rhythmbox won't be in FC5. Is there any reason preventing the inclusion
> > > of libgpod in FC? If not I think it would be nice to have it included to
> > > get iPod support in Rhythmbox out of the box ;)
> > >

> > Could it be a plugin in extras?
>
> I haven't seen any options to make a plugin for the different sources
> and libgpod is linked to the rhythmbox binary so I don't think a
> separate plugin in extras would be possible. I know that people want a
> smaller FC but libgpod isn't that big and it would add more
> functionality to something that's already in FC.

++ on this request.
Currently - I have to export rhythmbox playlists to file.
Then run a shell script on files to convert them to .m3u
Then launch gtkpod (from livna) to get the playlists onto my iPod.

I really would like to be able to see rhythmbox talk directly to my
iPod. Yeah yeah - the only audio codec that both Fedora Core and iPod
both share in common is wav - but the gstreamer mp3 plugin is easy to
get ahold of ...

-=-=-

What I *really* would prefer though is a common portable device sync
library that is not device specific, that can be built to work with many
devices - so that rhythmbox (or whatever) could use that library and not
care what is on the other end, let the library care. But since that
doesn't exist, iPod support would be cool because iPod is what I have :)