FC5 and Yum Plugins

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Sat Dec 31 19:09:50 UTC 2005

Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 31, 2005 at 05:17:02PM +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
>> On Sat, 2005-12-31 at 11:49 -0500, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
>> Er, or just volunteer to package mythtv for livna?
>
>That is the second time this suggestion comes up in this thread. What
>makes livna and ATrpms different, or say livna preferable to ATrpms in
>this context? At the beginning of this thread some people posted about
>livna replacing packages just as well.

The fact that Livna would not pull in a bunch of rpms that, for instance myth TV
does not need. The last time I tried to install a myth box from ATrpms
it wanted to replace yum. NO, I do not want the ATrpm version of yum installed.
Myth does not need it. I only want the packages NECESSARY for myth to work
installed. IIRC, I thought I could bump my version of yum to override it but
upon inspection there was some specific tag that required the use of the ATrpms
version. In addition I seem to remember the dep-solver pulling in some other
equally unnecessary packages but I cannot remember which ones.

I use a custom version of yum that I build so that I can serve up the yum.conf
files from a web server. Why would I want to replace my version of yum with
ATrpms? If ATrpm's deps were sane this would not be a problem but the last time
I looked they are not.

>Just for the note: Fedora itself, when it wasn't merged with RHL (aka
>fedora.us) decided to have vendor packages replaced. packages like
>shadow-utils or rpm itself.

IIRC only on a VERY limited basis. If you are referring to the rpm upgrade
for RHL 8.0, as far as I am concerned NOT upgrading was a mistake on Red Hat's
part. That upgrade made the system usable and the decision to do that was
very controversial.

Disclaimer: I have not actually looked at this in approx 6 months. If things
have changed then that is good and I would appreciate being corrected. I really
do appreciate the work 3rd party repos do. I used to use Dag's repo quite
frequently and I would gladly use ATrpms if the deps were not so intrusive.

Regards,

Tom Diehl		tdiehl at rogueind.com		Spamtrap address mtd123 at rogueind.com