Upgrades from one major release to the next

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Fri Dec 2 04:44:21 UTC 2005

YY> If yum/rpm would send a detailed mail to all users indicate that
YY> what configurations are saved to .rpmold, .rpmnew, etc. and what
YY> are replaced then I could believe in yum/rpm more.

I use the following script, which will tell you about any rpmsave or
rpmnew files and can spam you with diffs as well.

#!/usr/bin/perl
use Getopt::Std;
getopts('dq');

$| = 1;
@DIFF = qw(/usr/bin/diff -u);
@LS   = qw(/bin/ls -l);

@configfiles = `rpm -qac`;

for $i (@configfiles) {
  chomp $i;
  $old = -f "$i.rpmsave";
  $new = -f "$i.rpmnew";
  if ($old || $new) {

    # If running quietly, we can just exit the first time we see a difference
    if ($opt_q) {
      exit 1;
    }

    $package = `rpm -qf $i`;
    chomp $package;

    push @{$updates{$package}}, {file => $i,
				 old  => $old,
				 new  => $new,
				};
  }
}

exit 0 unless %updates;

for $package (sort keys %updates) {
  print "Updated files in package $package:\n";

  for $i (@{$updates{$package}}) {
    if ($i->{old}) {
      show ($i->{file}, "$i->{file}.rpmsave");
    }
    if ($i->{new}) {
      show ($i->{file}, "$i->{file}.rpmnew");
    }