Re: Pipe dreams: yum-based anaconda a step towards on-line yum-based upgrades?

On Thu, 2005-12-01 at 13:27 +0100, Matthias Saou wrote:

> Now... I know this is going to sound hackish and ugly, but why not have an
> important Core package (say "fedora-release" for instance) obsolete these
> removed packages up to their last known version? This still leaves the
> opportunity to re-introduce them at a later date.

Because that guarantees (no, *mandates*) that N -> N+2 upgrades won't
work.

If we're going to put this data some place other than anaconda, the
answer is to put it in a package that tracks what needs this sort of
special handling between updates, and to never take any of the data out.

--
  Peter