suggestion: move all java packages to extras

Michael Wiktowy mwiktowy at gmx.net
Sat Dec 3 20:32:47 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-12-03 at 02:18 -0500, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 27, 2005 at 04:46:46PM -0500, Michael Wiktowy wrote:
> > 1) those packages that enable network/Internet access and installation
> > of more packages
> > 2) those packages that people will likely use on systems that will never
> > have network/Internet access
> >

> Modem users would generally beg to differ, or those using GPRS, or with high
> bandwidth costs

The spirit of group 2) is to include all those things in core that
people would typically use that *effectively* don't have Internet access
for the purposes of downloading extras. I would put the needs of modem
users/low bandwidth users squarely in that group since it would be
impractical for them to do any large transfers to enhance/update their
system. They have to rely on out-of-band means for getting their base
and add-ons anyways; just like people behind a restrictive corporate
firewall or those with no NIC/modem/tin-can-with-string/carrier-pigeon
at all.

However, the fact that they have a little bit of usable bandwidth for
some Internet activities does put some low-bandwidth intensive apps into
group 2) and all the dial-up access apps in group 1) though.

So your comments would add "modem users" as a target group for FC.

/Mike