yum plugin suggestion or yum change?

Thomas M Steenholdt tmus at tmus.dk
Mon Dec 5 13:31:54 UTC 2005

Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 11:29:05PM +1030, n0dalus wrote:
>
>> Can't we just word it in a way that implies something has gone very wrong?
>
> Or require an additional parameter.
>
> yum --partial upgrade

Exactly!

In case of system update, partial success is better than no success at
all. In most situations, this is probably not true, but here it
certainly is.
Especially because partial success is actually successful updating of a
lot of packages, but with the update of a few packages delayed until
such time that their dependencies can be met.
There should be no good reason to postpone a security update of apache
because of a failed dependency with gaim or whatever.

--partial seems to be a good solution to me!

/Thomas