yum plugin suggestion or yum change?

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Mon Dec 5 19:28:12 UTC 2005

Le lundi 05 décembre 2005 à 13:21 -0500, Jeff Spaleta a écrit :

The issue what the best course of action when there is a detectable
> error. I am still not convinced it is in an average desktop users best
> interest to allow partial updates with the current updates framework.

If you make the tool behave pathologically in every case users will just
stop using it. It's as simple as that, and why ten very secure passwords
are much worse than a simple password the user can actually remember
without writing it on his desk.

You and the others « stop at the first problem » advocates are trying to
strong-arm users in perfect behaviour. Guess what ? It doesn't work in
real life and it won't work for you either.

If you really want to protect against persistant update failures make
yum collect stats and warn when a package repeatedly fail updates. Do
not bother the user with every transient mirror sync hic-cup problem or
he'll just start ignoring you altogether.

Do you know why windows security sucks ? It's not because the patches
does not exist, it's just that applying them has historically been so
painful people do not bother. Why are you purposefully making yum use
painful as well ?

--
Nicolas Mailhot