Stupid (?) lib64 questions

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 13:05:50 UTC 2005

I have an x86 system, running only official FC4 + Extras, on which I am
seeing a few packages that are referencing "/usr/lib64":

(1) - php*-5.0.4-10.5, which now is trying to find the mysql module
under /usr/lib64 instead of /usr/lib.

(2) - My Fedora Extras blogtk-1.1-4.fc4 package, built on hammer1.f.r.c,
contains files that are installed under /usr/lib64.

Although the latter doesn't appear to affect proper functioning, the
former is wreaking havoc now that I am testing a package that uses
php-mysql, since it is looking for /usr/lib64/php4/modules/mysql.so and
not finding it there.  (I can fix this with a symbolic link.)  My
understanding is that the former situation is probably a bug, which I'll
file, but what is up with the latter?  Is it to be expected that FE
stuff will sometimes end up with %{_libdir} evaluating to /usr/lib64 on
build machines?  Clues delivered gently would be helpful.