Re: yum plugin suggestion or yum change?

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

MS reasons for holding back some stuff are not applicable to Fedora.
Fedora userbase is not segmented between legitimate users (which can get
full updates by going through a portal) and freeloaders (which MS would
dearly love to leave in the dust, but can not for PR reasons).

Not just PR. Windows computers running a stolen operating system are a threat to Windows computers running a legitimate operating system -- and, when traffic levels get high, to all other computers. Also, there are a lot of Windows installations that are paid up but the licenses aren't quite in order: a lot of sites use tools like Ghost to maintain desktops, and it's hard to get licensing right in that situation.

Similar pressures would apply to RHEL 4 if RHEL 4 were an attractive target.

Overall, my experience is that packages become unupdatable over time in a rawhide or FC# system -- most of the time these are packages I don't care about, so I throw them overboard. If something I cared about became unupdatable, I'd have a real problem.