yum annoyances

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 21:13:29 UTC 2005

On 12/6/05, Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org> wrote:
> Anaconda certainly treats a lot of packages specially. And if an admin
> wants to prevent this from happening, he or she could add it to the list of
> packages yum ignores.

Or conversely, the admin can clean out cruft manually. It would take a
rather large effort to know everything this catchall package is going
to do before it does it... to know whether or not it should be
excluded.  Sorry, your arguments have not  convinced me automating
cruft removal using a single payload-less catchall package via
obsolete  is appropriate for default behavior. I'd prefer if obsoletes
were used as sparingly as possible in this way and instead they be
used primarily for situations where packaging has changed but
equivalent functionality is still provided.

I'd rather see a focus on admin tools to notify that the packages are
no longer part of the repos they have enabled and let admins make
decisions on a case-by-case package-by-package basis without incurring
loss of functionality whenever possible.

-jef