yum clean bug

Thomas M Steenholdt tmus at tmus.dk
Thu Dec 8 23:11:19 UTC 2005

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On 12/8/05, seth vidal <skvidal at phy.duke.edu> wrote:
>> oh - but a word of warning - I've had a couple of different users tell
>> me that b/c of bandwidth constraints they have one machine that
>> downloads the packages into its cache then they nfs export their cache
>> dir out to their other linux boxes.
>
> Yep I do this sort of thing on one network. a common share for the
> cache so all the fc4 machines that i admin cache packages to the same
> filesystem instead of having to regrab the same updates from the
> outside network. Some machines have updates-testing enabled.. some of
> them don't... but they all use the same cache tree.
>
> -jef

Are your repos disabled on these server systems? i don't suspect you're
running yum clean all on them either way unless you really want to
re-get it all?

Also, IMO, this should be done as a mirror function (perhaps an idea for
yum-utils) and stored elsewhere. as long as it's called a cache, it
should be considered like that. Not something you want to count on is
still there anyway.

I understand the bandwidth limitation issue, but those repos are likely
to be enabled anyway so a yum clean would do just as much damage on
those systems.

implement a noclean or protech option and we can all be happy. This
would let yum know our intentions for disabling the repos.

/Thomas