yum clean bug

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Fri Dec 9 17:38:11 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-12-09 at 18:30 +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> But you can't. When you write files in /var/cache, you're giving
> explicit permission to their deletion without notice (by other
> administrators, cron jobs, other processes, etc). So it's a bit
> ridiculous to "protect" them from yum clean all afterwards.

Actually yes I can.  I'm reasonably assured that on my systems there are
no cron jobs that touch /var/yum/cache for removals, no other admins
that are going to touch those files, and no other processes.  It is
rather silly to expect random process to go willy nilly
through /var/cache and remove crap at will.  And this is really beside
the point.  The line was drawn at Yum.  Yum will not touch content that
is not in an enabled repo.  End of discussion.  Just because you don't
agree doesn't mean we're wrong, and vice/versa.  Doesn't really matter
who is right/wrong in this case, the only person with the power to
change this has made up his mind.  He's posted reasons, others have
agreed and extrapolated on these reasons.  Work arounds have been
listed, invitations are out to code around these work arounds into an
acceptable location.  Why are we still discussing this?

Was I helpful?  Let others know: