yum clean bug

Patrick Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Fri Dec 9 18:19:25 UTC 2005

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Jesse Keating wrote:
> > On Fri, 2005-12-09 at 18:27 +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> >> If yum is so concerned about this "data" safety why is it storing it in
> >> a filesystem tree specifically reserved for stuff that can be removed
> >> without notice?
> >>
> >> But anyway this was not my point.
> >
> > I don't see anything in the FHS that says things will come in randomly
> > and remove stuff w/out notice.
>
> " The application must always be able to recover from manual deletion of
> these files "

And yum is perfectly capable of continuing operation if all of the
contents of that directory are removed.  Notice also that 'manually' and
'by other tools' are two very different things.  yum can recover either
way, but it is not within the defined behavior of /var/cache for other
programs to wipe everything.
> So other stuff does not need to notify the app that wrote those files
> before deleting them
>
> " (generally because of a disk space shortage) "
>
> So when the system / the admin wants to reclaim some disk space, it's /
> he's allowed to do a find /var/cache -type f -exec -rm -f \{\} \;

Which you are free to do.  Personally, I choose not to, and I don't want
yum to do it for me.
> Actually it goes even farther than this, other stuff don't have to give
> any particular reason to delete files in /var/cache.
>
> Any package may include such a bit in its install scriplets and it'll be
> perfectly legit.

It would not be standard behavior.  yum would be expected to operate
afterwards, but other tools should not be trying to do this.  If I were
to discover another program doing this, I would be complaining on its
mailing list much like you are whining right now.

Aside from your arguments being futile and self-defeating, they're
annoying.  You have taken the view that you are right and you represent
everyone else.  That is a flawed point of view.  There is obviously a
lot of disagreement here, and no change to yum is going to make that go
away.  You should try to buck up and do something more constructive
about it.  Improvements to the documentation and a plugin would both be
welcomed, and would not be ignored.  I can't say the same for any
further posts on this thread.

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com