yum clean bug

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Fri Dec 9 19:22:14 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-12-09 at 20:14 +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> "But how can I really be sure that ALL the data in that dir is
> disposable, especially if the user has disabled the repo in question in
> their config.
>
> I err on the side of protecting data. If yum is not told to remove it,
> then it won't remove it."
>
> So this is not-disposable data needing protection. I translate this into
> data that must be preserved. If it's not preserved it's not really
> protected, right ?

You're extrapolating.  The data can/could be recreated.  The user may
not wish to incur the cost of the recreation.  Lots of bandwidth, lots
of time, etc...  Thus Seth is developing his program to err on the side
of conservation rather than whole sale cache removal.  Nothing in his
reasoning says that the data HAS to remain.  The user may wish it to
remain.  Cache does you no good if you just remove it every single time
it gets written.  Theoretically you can do this, because of hte way that
cache works, and how the FHS says that cache should work.  However a lot
of times this isn't a desirable usage.

Again you are taking words and meanings and morphing them into a
position you feel you could argue against, for apparently no good
reason.

Was I helpful?  Let others know: