Delta RPM status?

Jonathan Dieter jdieter99 at gmx.net
Sat Dec 10 14:50:25 UTC 2005

What is the current status of delta RPMS?  I've developed a python
implementation that can create a byte-for-byte duplicate of the update
RPM from the delta using a modified bsdiff algorithm, but apparently
I've been duplicating others' work.  My implementation works on a
file-by-file basis rather than archive by archive and will work even if
configuration files have been changed (by storing said files in patch as
new files rather than as deltas).  It also can either use the user's
file-system or an original RPM as it's source for applying the delta.

However, I realize all this may be a moot point if there's already
something out there that provides the same functionality.  I hope I
haven't stepped on anyone's toes.  Thanks,

Jonathan