yum clean bug

Jarod Wilson lists at wilsonet.com
Sun Dec 11 08:44:49 UTC 2005

On Saturday 10 December 2005 09:29, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Matthew Miller wrote:
> >On Sat, Dec 10, 2005 at 09:11:24AM -0800, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> >>How 'bout adding a config option to yum.conf? Default setting for the
> >>"cleanall" option could be "enabled-only", users could switch that to
> >>"nuke-everything", or something along those lines. Seems like a
> >> reasonable compromise that gives both sides of the fence what they want,
> >> no?
> >
> >I think that makes it worse, since you'd never know what clean all does on
> > a given machine without checking the config.
>
> Yep. Configuration options that change command behavior like this  are
> just plain evil. It will make miserable any attempts to debug problems.

Good point.

> If you need more fiddling power add them to  yum-utils.

I don't need it myself, was just throwing it out there. Until reading this
thread, I didn't even realize there was a distinction to make on what "yum
clean all" did. Never even thought about it, I'd always just assumed it
actually did clean all defined repos (including the disabled ones).

I can see both sides of the argument on this one, but I really don't care
which one is the default. Knowing is enough, and I'm certainly capable of
removing things by hand if I really want all cached data gone.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com

--