Re: sky2 and hard drive performance

On Sun, 2005-12-11 at 12:02 -0800, Nathan Grennan wrote:
>    I do see that the driver can be loaded without a drop in performance,
> it is only activating the driver that triggers it. Another thing I see
> is that deactivating it doesn't fix the problem. In that I can go from
> run level 5 to run level 1, where networking is shut down in the
> process, but the performance in run level 1 will still be slow.
>
>   Another potential clue maybe that I didn't see such a drop with raid0
> performance when I started using the sky2 driver. So I suspect it is
> just an interaction between the raid5 code and the sky2 code.

Just before leaving home last week I noticed that sky2 was causing an
interrupt storm on my new toy, which explained the massive performance
problems I saw there. Since I'd just taken the sky2.[ch] from the netdev
git tree and compiled them against the Fedora kernel I didn't report it;
just intended to look into it further when I got home.

--
dwmw2