sky2 and hard drive performance

Nathan Grennan fedora-devel-list at cygnusx-1.org
Sun Dec 11 23:58:09 UTC 2005

David Woodhouse wrote:
> Just before leaving home last week I noticed that sky2 was causing an
> interrupt storm on my new toy, which explained the massive performance
> problems I saw there. Since I'd just taken the sky2.[ch] from the netdev
> git tree and compiled them against the Fedora kernel I didn't report it;
> just intended to look into it further when I got home
  I just downloaded the latest sk98lin driver from the Syskonnect site.
I compiled it against kernel-2.6.14-1.1644_FC4.x86_64, and loaded it. It
seems to work, it doesn't crash the system on reactivation, and doesn't
degrade my hard drive performance.

  I had avoided sk98lin from the Syskonnect site, because of messages I
had found that said it was poorly written and that sky2 was supposed to
be well written. Maybe it isn't written to the linux kernel standards,
but it at least works better than the latest version of sky2. I think I
will keep my eye on sky2, but use sk98lin for now.