sky2 and hard drive performance

John W. Linville linville at redhat.com
Mon Dec 12 17:58:59 UTC 2005

On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 03:58:09PM -0800, Nathan Grennan wrote:

>   I just downloaded the latest sk98lin driver from the Syskonnect site.
> I compiled it against kernel-2.6.14-1.1644_FC4.x86_64, and loaded it. It
> seems to work, it doesn't crash the system on reactivation, and doesn't
> degrade my hard drive performance.

Lovely.  However, unless you would prefer to continue executing
that process it would be better if you could stick with sky2.
I'm confident that sk98lin will not be updated either in Fedora or
upstream kernels anytime soon.

>   I had avoided sk98lin from the Syskonnect site, because of messages I
> had found that said it was poorly written and that sky2 was supposed to
> be well written. Maybe it isn't written to the linux kernel standards,
> but it at least works better than the latest version of sky2. I think I
> will keep my eye on sky2, but use sk98lin for now.

Perhaps you should give sky2 another look.  FC4.netdev.5 has the
patch which is likely to correct the problem you observed.

	http://people.redhat.com/linville/kernels/fedora-netdev/

Please give that a try and post whether or not it resovles the issue
for you.

Thanks!

John
--