gstreamer 0.10

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Wed Dec 14 10:53:36 UTC 2005

Hi,

> On Thu, 2005-12-08 at 22:59 -0500, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
> > If a significant portion
> > of core apps start depending on 0.10 then we can pull it in.
> Totem and rhythmbox have got ports to 0.10 and will most definitely be
> ready when Gnome 2.14 is released.

Has there been a final "decision" on whether FC5 will ship with GNOME
2.14 ?

> I also think it would be very good to have 'cause it's a major leap in
> terms of videoperformance (and audio too, the Rhythmbox port is quit a
> bit faster then the 0.8 version) also next gen programs like Diva (I
> know you will not ship it, but 3rd party reps.) will require it.

It's just a *lot* better at threadsafety in general.  Combined with the
patches GStreamer hackers have contributed to GLib 2.8 to make more of
it threadsafe, it is a lot more solid.

> Getting it into rawhide sooner than later could also mean great feedback
> to the developers.

True, and it would be much appreciated.  Shipping e.g. totem in FC5test2
- even if from CVS - with the 0.10 backend now would anticipate
correctly on the eventual situation when FC5 gets released, and would
actually help us stabilize it if need be.

Thomas

Bye bye long day
need to sleep so much
ninety hours straight