mirror synchronization flags?

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Wed Dec 14 14:17:38 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-12-14 at 14:43 +0100, Thomas M Steenholdt wrote:
> Hi
>
> Please correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know, the fedora tree
> has no built-in semantics for letting other mirrors (perhaps even
> clients) know if they are fully synced or in the middle of a mirroring
> operation.
>
> How about documenting a way to use some sort of semaphore (file) that
> can be checked to make sure that mirroring has finished? Mirrors,
> clients retrieving their data from a certain mirror could then
> check/wait for the mirror to finish or find another mirror in the meantime?
> The document could also share a few ideas on what to include/exclude for
> certain types of mirrors, whether (or when) local createrepo should be
> setup and such?

1. wrong list for this discussion - the mirrors discussion list is more
appropriate
2. you'd need the mirrors to use a consistent script in order to ensure
that the files were retrieved in a correct order such that the semaphore
file was retrieved last. This has proved to be harder to get folks to do
than you would expect.

-sv