Re: bittorrent in core? what frontend?

Alexander Larsson wrote:
At some point in time we in the desktop group discussed shipping
bittorrent and a nice frontend in fedora core. Since more and more
people start to use this as a standard way of distributing software
(e.g. fedora core itself uses this) it really should be supported in a
default desktop install, so that when you click on a torrent file in the
browser something "nice" happens.

What are peoples opinions on this?

Another question is what frontend to use as a default. bittorrent itself
ships with a wxPython based frontend (bittorrent-gui, availible with
bittorrent in fedora extras). Another frontend is gnome-bt
(http://gnome-bt.sourceforge.net/) which is designed more like a simple
*.torrent mime handler rather than a full bittorrent app. Ubuntu
defaults to this i think.

I packaged gnome-bt at:
http://people.redhat.com/alexl/files/gnome-bt-0.0.22-1.noarch.rpm
http://people.redhat.com/alexl/files/gnome-bt-0.0.22-1.src.rpm

I don't use bittorrent all that much. What do people think about these
two frontends? Are there other interesting ones?

Java haters unite but i find the azureus bt client to be useful and full featured. It handles UPnP through the router and allows me to set importance values on individual files in a torrent as well as manage full bandwidth throttling. Using these features i only have to download CD's 1 and 2 of a 4 cd distro torrent if id like and i dont have to swamp the network to do it. I havent tried it for compliance ontop of the fedora "free" java stack but it runs quickly on my old clunker on the sun JVM. Take a look at:

http://azureus.sourceforge.net/
-mf