Re: Shared vs Static (please read)

Alexander Larsson wrote:
On Fri, 2005-12-16 at 15:22 +0100, Pozsar Balazs wrote:

On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 02:47:24PM +0100, Pozsar Balazs wrote:

Regarding dynamic-vs-static, I was wondering what effects does it have when an app is linked either way. Does anyone know exactly?

Err... I meant what effect _on execution speed_ does it have?

A statically linked application by itself with a lot of memory might
execute a bit faster. However, if all apps were statically linked then
all library code would be duplicated in each application leading to
general system slowdown due to more swapping and worse cache behaviour.

Exactly. This is particularly true of a desktop environment with gnome applications which generally share a lot of dynamic libraries. The hotter cache results in much faster startup times and response time for gnome apps.