Re: libusual interface [was Re: libusual and ub]

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 01:53:04 -0500, Bill Nottingham <notting redhat com> wrote:

> I still think we should just use module aliases and either
> don't auto-bind, or separate the aliases by which driver is
> best.

I tried that, and it would be feasible for installer, but the problem is,
aliases do not work with hotplug anymore in Rusty's module-init-tools.
They used to work with Keith's modutils. The reason is that Rusty's
modprobe only expands aliases once (he did not want to implement
loop detection). But modern kernels use a wildcard string to identify
a module. This string is matched with the use of an alias mechanism,
so a second match won't happen.

http://www.livejournal.com/users/zaitcev/34396.html
http://www.livejournal.com/users/zaitcev/34596.html

-- Pete