freenode

Patrick Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Sat Dec 17 13:12:11 UTC 2005

Over the last 20 hours, freenode has been trying to deal with a massive
botnet attack.  Over the course of that time, they removed the
irc.freenode.net server to chat.freenode.net.  Service has now been
restored to irc.freenode.net, but freenode is considering a permanent
transition to chat.freenode.net.  In order to prepare for whatever
changes freenode may make, I have adjusted references to
irc.freenode.net on the wiki to point at the freenode website
(http://freenode.net/) instead.  For more information, or if you have
trouble connecting to freenode, please see the news on their website at
http://freenode.net/news.shtml

I would encourage anyone who maintains websites or documentation to
update their information in a similar manner.  While we can expect
irc.freeenode.net to remain operational for a long time to come,
pointing to freenode's website rather than a server directly avoids
dependency upon that server, and users will likely experience better
service by visiting freenode's site and selecting a server that is
geographically close to their location.

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com