bittorrent in core? what frontend?

Sean seanlkml at sympatico.ca
Sat Dec 17 17:58:40 UTC 2005

On Sat, December 17, 2005 10:53 am, Michael A. Peters said:

> Oh I see what you are saying. When trusted application foo is being run
> by user in trusted group bar (or open for any user) - the firewall will
> open ports xxxx to yyyy should foo request they be opened - for the
> duration that foo is running.
>
> That would be slick.

Yeah, you said more clearly than what i muddled out.  Somewhere in the mix
a policy could be set to force the user to agree/cancel or enter a
password (perhaps just on the first invocation).  If this dynamic-firewall
service became common most network apps could be updated to use it.
Hopefully it would make things easier for the casual user with a simple
setup.

Ultimately the dynamic-firewall service could even have an option to do
UPnP or zeroconf too, and thus enable auto-port-forwarding for any app (if
desired).

Wouldn't surprise me to find out that someone is already working on
something like this though.

Sean