bittorrent in core? what frontend?

Sean seanlkml at sympatico.ca
Sat Dec 17 19:36:21 UTC 2005

On Sat, December 17, 2005 2:30 pm, Jeff Spaleta said:

> I don't think the issue is the bittorrent client specifically.  The
> has to do with whether or not the local firewall should be trusting
> these kind of requests for port opening from applications generally..
> without knowledge as to purpose or intent. Whose to say that the next
> application to need this functionality isn't doing so for malicious
> means.

Well we're talking about two different things here.  One is the local
firewall rules, lets set that aside for a moment.   The other is the use
of auto-port-forwarding on a nat router connecting a home network to the
internet.   My contention is it's not our job to decide the policy on
this.   We should use the facility if it is enabled on the router.   For
those who don't agree with this functionality they can shut it off.

And really, without a corresponding change to the firewall rules on the
local machine the port forwarding on the router has __0 effect__.
Because any packets forwarded to the local machine will still be rejected
by the firewall.

Sean