bittorrent in core? what frontend?

Sean seanlkml at sympatico.ca
Sat Dec 17 21:09:58 UTC 2005

On Sat, December 17, 2005 4:01 pm, Jesse Keating said:

> And here I thought we were discussing the merrits of having the bt
> client default to upnp enabled.  I would rather it be disabled, and let
> the user decide to use risky features.  Secure by default.

There is no significant risk added at all.   If there is an exploit in the
bit torrent client, it needs to have a security patch either way.
Enabling the use of UPnP doesn't change that.  But it would significantly
improve the user experience of a large number of users that want to use it
to download Fedora releases.   The use of UPnP is actually an improvement
over manually configured port settings because they're only in place while
the client is being used.   But as long as the feature is at least
provided as an option, having it default to "off" isn't a big deal.

Cheers,
Sean