booting notebooks vs. suspend (was Re: boot faster)

Cam camilo at mesias.co.uk
Mon Dec 19 18:49:05 UTC 2005

Gilboa Davara wrote:

> Umm... I rarely boot my machines (once in a couple of months), but I'd
> venture to guess that if suspend-resume was bullet-proof, people would
> have rebooted their machine only in the cases above, which are pretty
> rare events for most Linux users.

My point exactly. IF you just want to pull the machine out of the bag,
open it and use it, then close it and replace it, working ACPI suspend
is the perfect solution. Booting becomes a relatively rare event and
time to boot is less significant.

> Plus, I might be wrong here, but doesn't suspend to disk theoretically
> allows you to suspend, switch to Windows (*spit!), and pick up where you
> left once you switch back to Linux?

Probably - I use ACPI suspend to RAM, I haven't tried the suspend2 (to
disk) but I imagine it's slower.

If I wanted to use the other OS it's easier for me to use a vmware image
than reboot.

-Cam

--

                                                                      <--