unicode characters

(This is a resend...sorry if you see it twice but the original version
didn't seem to be on the list after two hours)

I am running the latest rawhide. Sometime in the last several days
some of my unicode characters have started appearing as the
"unrecognized" empty square (I don't know what it is officially
called).

This is true for www.chinesepod.com, which is mostly in English but
has a few Chinese symbols. It is also happens in Eclipse with Java
source code,  mostly before and after the double quote character. I'm
using the non-gcj version of Eclipse. The file appears normally using
kwrite.

My language settings have been UTF-8 for a long time. I've seen this
happen once before and it seemed to correct itself with font updates.

Any suggestions on where to look?

thanks

darrell