Too much time wasted installing fedora on raid1

Paul P Komkoff Jr i at stingr.net
Tue Dec 20 13:45:26 UTC 2005

Replying to David Woodhouse:
> RAID is just a hack which hides the redundancy from the file system; the
> kind of thing we always used to have to do for DOS compatibility so that
> we could provide an INT 13h handler and have it 'just work'. It's much
> the same reasoning which led to the built-in 'translation layers' on
> cheap CF cards and USB sticks which so often eat your data and which
> have a tendency to use up their limited lifetime in copying obsolete
> sectors belonging to deleted files around on the underlying medium.
>
> We don't _need_ that kind of layering in Linux. Have a library of
> functions which can be used for such redundancy, by all means -- but
> don't just make RAID pretend to be a 'standard' block device and prevent
> all possibility of sharing knowledge between the file system and the
> layer providing the redundancy. That's just insane.

Well, everything you said habove is correct. But I've yet seen any
"redundant block device filesystem" project anywhere.
Anybody willing to start it?

Meanwhile, maybe we can fix md sync ordering? :)))

--
Paul P 'Stingray' Komkoff Jr // http://stingr.net/key <- my pgp key
 This message represents the official view of the voices in my head