yum downloads need revamping

Mike Cohler mike.cohler at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 16:04:27 UTC 2005

Jeff Spaleta wrote:

As much as I hate agreeing with Steenholdt.. and let me assure you i
hate having to do it it... i have to agree with him on this, because
of the way the language packages for openoffice are packaged you can't
avoid updating the langpacks at all.

The way I have been using openoffice is to do a "yum remove
openoffice.org-langpack*"
and since I am only in need of English this saves a huge set of downloads
whenever openoffice is updated.
Hence this one command helps a lot for future updates.
Of course if you needed a specific langauge support then you could follow
the above with
yum install openoffice.org-langpack-he_IL
or whatever you need - this is still a great saving in dowload time/space
and update time/space compared to leaving everything in your system even if
you don;t need it.

Hence even if everything else is downloaded at install you can make
the above change and still be efficient for updates.
Jeff has already hinted at this in a previous posting on this topic.

A similar trick can be played concerning kde-i18n-* again in my case I
keep kde-i18n-British but remove the other language support rpms via
yum remove.
I would imagine that most people would need only 1 or possibly a few
language support files on any single machine?

Mike

--

mike cohler