Too much time wasted installing fedora on raid1

Denis Leroy denis at poolshark.org
Tue Dec 20 18:17:45 UTC 2005

Peter Jones wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-12-20 at 11:13 +0100, Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
>
>>On Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 10:46:18AM +0100, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
>>

>>>well... if the root is brand spanking new.. why would it need a sync?
>>
>>Because it _is_ brand spanking new (and thus unclean from a RAID point
>>of view)?
>

> Why does that matter?  The parts of it we've written data out to are
> supposed to be in sync already.  The resync should only be making the
> parts that aren't in use yet identical.

Exactly, it's like trying to sync uninitialized memory. Now i believe
the --assume-clean option of mdadm only works for RAID1 unfortunately.

Also, the layered approach of RAID is why RAID "just works", trying to
build the redundancy into the filesystem itself would be pure madness.
There are many excellent OS design books that will explain this much
better than i ever could.