bittorrent in core? what frontend?

Gerald Thompson geraldlt at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 20:37:23 UTC 2005

On 12/15/05, Alexander Larsson <alexl at redhat.com> wrote:
> At some point in time we in the desktop group discussed shipping
> bittorrent and a nice frontend in fedora core. Since more and more
> people start to use this as a standard way of distributing software
> (e.g. fedora core itself uses this) it really should be supported in a
> default desktop install, so that when you click on a torrent file in the
> browser something "nice" happens.
>
> What are peoples opinions on this?
>
> Another question is what frontend to use as a default. bittorrent itself
> ships with a wxPython based frontend (bittorrent-gui, availible with
> bittorrent in fedora extras). Another frontend is gnome-bt
> (http://gnome-bt.sourceforge.net/) which is designed more like a simple
> *.torrent mime handler rather than a full bittorrent app. Ubuntu
> defaults to this i think.
>
> I packaged gnome-bt at:
> http://people.redhat.com/alexl/files/gnome-bt-0.0.22-1.noarch.rpm
> http://people.redhat.com/alexl/files/gnome-bt-0.0.22-1.src.rpm
>
> I don't use bittorrent all that much. What do people think about these
> two frontends? Are there other interesting ones?

If you are going to package a client with the OS make it bittorrent-gui

- I actually used this for a while because azureus is kind of a
resource hog sometimes.  Azureus is working a bit better now since the
latest update so I switched back.  For simplicity bittorrent-gui works
fine and it also manages the upload ratio quite well actually.  If you
feel the need to do so you can actually tell bittorrent-gui to keep
seeding any of the files indefinately if you are trying to get your
share ratio up.  At one point I had 5 items set to seed indefinately
while I was downloading a few others.  It is nowhere near as powerful
as azureus but it is a decent simple program.  Since the 4.2 update
bittorrent-gui became even more customizable, although people have to
realize they need to right-click on the torrent to access some of the
extra features like seed indefinately.

Sincerely,

--
Gerald Thompson