Re: Too much time wasted installing fedora on raid1

On Tue, 2005-12-20 at 10:17 -0800, Denis Leroy wrote:
> Also, the layered approach of RAID is why RAID "just works", trying to
> build the redundancy into the filesystem itself would be pure madness.
> There are many excellent OS design books that will explain this much
> better than i ever could.

RAID 'just works' in much the same way that microkernels and the OSI
networking model 'work' -- suboptimally. It's a symptom of a popular
design methodology which if allowed free rein would make Modula-3¹
programmers of us all.

I'm sure there are many OS design books which Linus could have read that
would have explained why microkernels were better, too. Personally, I'm
happy that he wasn't persuaded.

The next file system I write will probably do this correctly, but it'll
be another flash file system, so won't be relevant to block devices.

--
dwmw2

¹ Or maybe Java, these days. The bondage and discipline principle is
much the same.