Re: rawhide report: 20051221 changes - X server removed

Joachim Frieben wrote:
Strange things are going on at Red Hat:

- consumption of psychedelic substances by Red Hat developers
  exhibiting through the new bubble style artwork. ;o)

- today's updates applied through "pup" -removed- the
  "xorg-x11-server-Xorg" package

- "kernel-devel" and "kernel-doc" got updated but not the "kernel"
  package itself

- kernels  2.6.14-1.1777_FC5 and 2.6.14-1.1777_FC5 do not honour
  the "single" boot option as previous kernels did.

Strange days, indeed ... .

I did just try with 1 as a kernel command line option and notices something rather strange. init acknowledges the 1 flags and says

INIT: going to single user mode (or something to that end)

the on the next line it continues

INIT: booting to runlevel 5 (again not exact string, but something similar)

I'm guessing the new init has some sort of problem? Or /etc/rc.d/rc is perhaps not handling something properly?

I can't seem to recall exactly where, what is supposed to happen.

/Thomas