Radeon driver hang

Wed Dec 21 18:01:41 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-12-21 at 12:35 -0500, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> Erwin Rol wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > I added Benjamin's patch to the ati driver SRPM to test if it works, and
> > for me it seems to work, my machine doesn't hard hang anymore.
> >
> > If you want to try it out the SRPM can be found here;
> > http://www.erwinrol.com/downloads/software/xorg-x11-drv-ati-6.5.7-2.src.rpm
>
> As a good general guideline, if you make a custom version of a package
> that Red Hat ships, and bump the release number, it is a very good idea
> to also namespace it specially to not conflict with future official
> Red Hat package version/releases.  It also helps to make it more clear
> that it is not an official Red Hat build when looking at the output
> of rpm -q et al.
>
> What I do for personal custom builds of packages, is namespace them with
> ".mharris.n" ie:  xorg-x11-drv-ati-6.5.7-1.mharris.1.src.rpm
>
> Let's me know this was based on the official Red Hat -1 package, and it
> is my first custom build.  If I need to rebuild, it would become .2 on
> the end, etc.
>
> Just thought I'd suggest that, as it's a generally good idea. ;)
>
> I wouldn't worry about it for this one now tho, as a new Radeon driver
> version is about to hit rawhide.

Well it wasn't really thought as a replacement of the fedora version,
just a quick hack to see it Benjamin's patch worked for me or not. And
it did, so I thought to share that in case others had the same problem.

I do hope the patch makes it in the next rawhide rpm so i can throw away
my hacked rpm :-)

- Erwin